Liz Torphy-Donzella and Teresa Teare Presented “Conducting Legally Compliant Employment Background Checks” on Behalf of hrsimple.com
On April 30, 2015, Liz Torphy-Donzella and Teresa Teare presented a webinar, “Conducting Legally Compliant Employment Background Checks,” on behalf of hrsimple.com, the publisher of the Maryland Human Resources Manual, which is edited by Fiona Ong of Shawe Rosenthal. Liz and Teresa kicked off hrsimple.com’s new webinar series by discussing the permissible parameters of background checks and the acceptable uses of background check information, including:
- Compliance with the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act’s (“FCRA”) strict regulation of the background check process and mandatory notice procedures.
- The threat of class action lawsuits against employers who do not meet the technical obligations of the FCRA.
- “Ban the box” laws, which restrict an employer’s right to consider certain criminal records in the application process.
- The EEOC’s position on the use of criminal background checks.
- Laws restricting an employer’s use of credit information for employment purposes.
- Social media privacy laws prohibiting an employer’s access to applicants’ personal accounts.
Click here to view a full recording of the webinar on YouTube.