Didn’t We Just Do This? Employers Must Update the Mandatory EEOC Poster Again
The federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has released a revised “Know Your Rights” poster (dated June 27, 2023), now including reference to the new Pregnant Workers Fairness Act (which we discussed in detail most recently in our March 2023 E-Update). This version replaces the “Know Your Rights” poster and supplement that was just released in October 2022. Employers with 15 or more employees are required to display this poster in the workplace.
The latest version of the poster consists of two pages – the first is applicable to all covered employers, while the second page is relevant to federal contractors and entities receiving federal financial assistance. The EEOC also provided FAQs that make the following points:
- Employers have “a reasonable amount of time” in which to replace the old poster with the new one.
- Employers may download the new two-page poster from the EEOC’s website.
- With regard to employees with visual disabilities, the poster is available as a PDF that has been optimized for screen readers.
- The poster is available in English and Spanish, with other languages forthcoming.
- It should be placed in a conspicuous location in the workplace where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted (typically a breakroom or common hallway).
If the EEOC discovers that an employer has failed to display this mandatory poster, there is a penalty of $659 per violation. So, employers, make sure to get that updated poster up asap!