The DOL’s “Essential Worker, Essential Protection” Initiative
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) has issued guidance for employers and employees navigating new and unexpected workplace challenges. The “Essential Worker, Essential Protection” initiative is the WHD’s latest action. As part of the initiative, WHD has taken the following actions:
- “Essential Protections During the COVID-19 Pandemic” landing page, containing WHD contact information for complaints, as well as links to both new and updated FAQs:
- COVID-19 and the Fair Labor Standards Act: Questions and Answers (we explore the updated document elsewhere in this E-Update)
- COVID-19 and Agricultural Workers: Questions and Answers
- Nursing Mothers and COVID-19: Questions and Answers (yes, you must continue to provide nursing mothers with breaks to express breast milk)
- COVID-19 and the Family and Medical Leave Act: Questions and Answers (we also discuss this updated document elsewhere in this E-Update)
- National Webinar Schedule. WHD hosts informative webinars on laws and regulations applicable to essential workers during the pandemic.
- Blog Article. WHD published a blog to highlight this initiative.
- WHD Workers’ Rights Webpage.WHD has revamped this page to better share information about essential protections and allow employees to report potential violations.
WHD states that it will continue to release additional resources, including multilingual communications and notices.