Employers – Update Your Mandatory EEOC Poster!
The federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has released a new “Know Your Rights” poster (dated October 20, 2022) that replaces the prior “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement, which employers with 15 or more employees are required to display in the workplace. The new poster consists of two pages – the first is applicable to all covered employers, while the second page is relevant to federal contractors and entities receiving federal financial assistance. The EEOC also provided FAQs that make the following points:
- Employers have “a reasonable amount of time” in which to replace the old poster with the new one.
- Employers may download the new two-page poster from the EEOC’s website.
- With regard to employees with visual disabilities, the poster is available as a PDF that has been optimized for screen readers.
- The poster is available in English and Spanish, with other languages forthcoming.
- It should be placed in a conspicuous location in the workplace where notices to applicants and employees are customarily posted (typically a breakroom or common hallway).
The information is now presented in a much simpler and more straightforward manner, which should be easier to understand.
If the EEOC discovers that an employer has failed to display this mandatory poster, there is a penalty of $610 per violation. So, employers, make sure to get that updated poster up asap!